- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup hot water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
For the chocolate ganache frosting
- 1 pound good quality semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped, such as that available from venchi.com
- 2 ⅓ heavy cream
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- Chocolate curls for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Put the cocoa and hot water in a bowl and whisk them together until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients, except the sugar (flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt).
- Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan over a medium to low heat, stirring to combine them. Once removed from the heat, pour the mixture into a clean mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium to low speed until cool.
- One at a time, add the eggs and beat until each one is incorporated into the butter and sugar mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, if needed, to make sure it’s evenly mixed. Add the vanilla and cocoa mixture and beat until combined. Reduce mixer speed to slow and add flour mix in two batches, alternating with the sour cream. Beat until just combined after each addition.
- Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full and place them in the oven, baking for about 20 minutes and turning the tins halfway through the time. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out the cupcakes to finish cooling.
- To make the chocolate ganache frosting, place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Heat the cream and corn syrup to a simmer and pour it over the chocolate. Let it stand until the chocolate begins to melt, and then stir until smooth. Refrigerate the mixture, stirring every 5 minutes until the mixture begins to hold its shape and is slightly lighter.
- Frost your cupcakes, adding chocolate curls, which you can easily make with a vegetable peeler.